January 19, 2013

Winter's in the Air Hop ~

Oh the weather outside is frightful, but these projects are so delightful. 
Welcome to the ‘Winter’s In The Air’ blog hop.  

We have all made projects to warm your heart, and potentially decorate your home, during these snowy months. Today, I present another first for me.....a fireplace card. I am so addicted to Pinterest and all of the amazing ideas. Here is where I found my inspiration (and instructions).  Being a Mississippi girl, I am not a fan of cold weather so the 1st thing I think of is a warm and cozy fireplace! 

Here's a tip for you. The stamp I wanted to use was too big for the space. I stamped it, scanned it to my computer and re-sized it. Wonder why I haven't thought of this before now! 
Supplies Used: 
DCWV Cotton Bloom Cardstock (green wallpaper)
Fire Image - Close To My Heart Happy Camper Stamp
Picture Image - Hero Arts Friendship Frames Stamp
Vase with Flowers - Cricut Bloom Cartridge (cut at 1-1/4", bl 4, sp low, pr high)
Fiskars Border Punch            
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Tea Dye         Inkadinkado Dye Ink - Black 
Stickles - Yellow      Studio G Glitter Glue - Red
Foam Tape (behind the picture frame)
Spectrum Noir Markers - TN7, EB1, GB5, CT4, EB5, EB7, CT1, BGR1
Copic Markers - G43, R56, R59 


I confess, I have no interior design skills so my card is a work in progress. Leave a comment below and tell me what YOU would do to improve this card. This is an A2 (5-1/5" x 4-1/4") card so the space is limited. I am always up for constructive criticism so feel free to offer as many suggestions as you like! In exchange, I will use some of those ideas to finish my project and choose 1 lucky follower to receive the Blog Candy below! Check back on 1/23/13 to see the winner AND the finished card!
I am running a bit behind. What started out as a craft room tidy-up on Sunday turned into a craft room disaster! I don't want to rush in to this card transformation so please be patient and check back on Sunday. :-)
Happy Sunday everyone. I so enjoyed reading all of your comments on how to improve my fireplace card. Unfortunately, everything was stuck like glue and I am unable to modify the existing card. I will create a new one implementing your ideas and post at a later date. I think I will do this more often. It really helped me to think outside of the box and be more creative. Thank you for the inspiration!!
Congratulations to Me-Ma Kim ~ Please email your address to msmith38652@gmail.com. Thanks again everyone for the great challenge I have ahead :-) Hope you are having a creative, crafty day!
BUT WAIT......THERE'S MORE.....!!!!
Be sure to comment on everyone’s post so you will be entered to win this fabulous BLOG CANDY from Melanie.  It includes paper, stickers, metal embellies, adhesive, mists, stencils, a journal and more! Winner will be chosen on 1/22/13 and announced on her blog ~ Good Luck to you!  
Here is the line up for today.

Michele http://michelescraftroom.blogspot.com/   <------ YOU ARE HERE
Teresa http://freshandrenewed.blogspot.com/  <----NEXT STOP

Now it's time to hop on over to Teresa's blog and admire her beautiful project!! Have a great weekend and thanks for hopping with us.

39 comments:

  1. Great card. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is so adorable!
    bbiswabic@new.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute card...if you are looking to add more dimension then I would ink the edges of the shelf - if you are looking for detail then maybe some bricks on the fire place with chalking :) but i love how you re sized the stamp!!! amazing idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    afternoonscrapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your card but you could hang a banner from the mantle or add more stuff to the mantle to make it more substantial! Mantles are for dressing up! For the holiday you are celebrating... maybe a banner made from little snowflakes? Just an idea Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project!

    mb6464@hotmail.com
    marciasmemories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your card and the way the mantle is folded out, adds great dimension. I love the suggestions above, the snowflake banner would make a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute card! I would add some dimension to the flower vase. Love the idea of adding a banner,too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great card. I really love how you made it look like a wintery scene. Warming me up just looking at it. Glad to be on the hop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever way to make a mantle! I love it! Thank you for sharing and for the chance to win :)
    -Suzanne suzyq28024@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your fire place!!!

    Robin
    http://cutonedesignsbyrobin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fireplace. Cold weather always make me think of one. Great idea with the computer and the stamp! Thanks for sharing and letting me hop along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your card, the fireplace looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute card!! I think you did a great job on it! The only thing I can think to suggest would be to add some shadowing in around the fire.

    Katie
    http://KtsCreativeInsights.blogspot.com
    CreationsByKatie@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute card. Thanks for the tip about scanning the stamp into the computer and reducing the size. I would have never thought of that. You are very Clever!

    Sarah
    craftingwithsarah.blogspot.com
    craftingwithsarah@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is perfect! There is nothing I would do to change it! That is such a neat idea! I would have never thought of that! Thank you for sharing and for your inspiration.

    I am a follower of your blog.

    Happy Saturday!

    sroseberry@ymail.com
    zannieberry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe a banner or some stockings hanging from the mantle, or a kitty sleeping! Other than that it is adorable! Great project and thanks for the fun hop!!
    xoxo Charity
    thebookinroom.blogspot.com
    thebookinroom@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome card!! I love the fireplace scene you've created!! And how clever to scan the stamp and re-size it!! Happy Saturday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great card - love the stamping resizing idea. The only things I would do is maybe have the vase up on pop dots too, and maybe a frame popped up around the fireplace to give a little more dimension. TFS and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. PS - the frame for the fireplace - around the black shadow:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hard to find anything to add or change. I thought of adding glitter to the flames, but it looks like you have that already. What great work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute card.. love the fireplace and pic

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous card, i love the colors and the fire in the fireplace. i thought maybe adding something on the mantle or bricking the fireplace, then i read the comments and saw that's what others mentioned too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!Love your card,very pretty,scrappinggg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michele,
    Great job on the scene! Love the fireplace!
    Miranda :)
    www.nanasscrapspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it as it is, but other options is inkin and embossingL)
    cathyplus5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! Fire & picture frame hanging are my favorites!

    thecraftypinkturtle@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think your card is SUPER just the way it is!! I am a new follower and am having FUN and getting inspired. TFS and have a GREAT Day,
    Me-Ma Kim
    kimnsammyatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute card, lots of warmth. I like the previous suggestions of inking to add dimension as well as maybe add a sentiment tag in the form of a banner.
    I like the tip of resizing the stamps, cool idea!
    TFS!
    ClaireR
    ThreeWatersCreations.com

    ps: its always fun hopping with you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I reallly love how you added dimension with the mantle. If you decide to change anything about this awesome card I would add a bit of decor to the mantle. Also you could add some trim or as mentioned above a banner to the front piece of the mantle. Love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Michele...your little card is really cute...love the mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is super cute it makes me feel cozy just looking at it! love it!
    TFS
    misses crafty

    ReplyDelete
  33. Like the idea of using the computer to make the stamp smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your card. TFS. It is such a cute idea. The only thing I can add is maybe use a brick type embossing folder to give the fireplace side a brick look.?. But really your card is cute the way you did it.
    dmcardmaker (at AOL)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the dimension on the fireplace! I might add some distressing around the edges and maybe a sentiment somewhere at the top. Maybe also some type of bling along the edge of the mantel? Great job on everything! I enjoyed being in the hop with you!

    ~Ashley
    marinewifesscrappinlife.blogspot.com
    proudusmcwife (at Gmail)

    ReplyDelete
  36. super CUTE fireplace card,I could use a nice toasty roaring fireplace right now :) and the stamp tip...... EXCELLENT idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!
    Services providers in UAE

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by ~ Hope you have a crafty day :-)

Challenge #32 ~ Ocean Life

Hello and welcome to challenge #32 showcasing ocean life! For this card, I used the adorable Fintastic Friends stamp set from Lawn Fa...