Pages

January 11, 2013

Teresa's Blogaversary Hop ~

Hello to all our crafty friends! We have a great blog hop for you today. A little over a year ago Teresa began a new blog to celebrate the fact she wanted a change in her life. And for that change to be permanent, came lots of prayer and leaning on God to give the right answers. The answers He needed to give, not the answers Teresa desired. Well here we are 1 year later and Teresa is a Stay at Home Wife, loving life and doing all she needs to do to create a warm, loving atmosphere for her family!

Thanks for joining us today...Teresa asked all the participants to create something that represented a change in their life. If you haven't already, be sure to start at the beginning with Teresa's project and see the fabulous blog candy she is offering!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While Christmas shopping, I passed Jo~Ann's twice saying to myself "so what if I have a coupon...I do not NEED 1 thing". After all, I was on a mission to finish checking off my to do list. My car had a mind of its own because I ended up stopping anyway. As I was checking out, a little lady came in with a piece of paper in hand. I heard her asking if they had someone that could cross stitch something for her. As the salesperson explained that they didn't offer that service, I was struggling mentally...should I say anything? My mother taught me to cross stitch 36 years ago so I have experience but not enough hours in the day. I took my change and receipt and as I walked past her, something made me turn around and  offer my services. It was a simple saying that she later explained meant everything to her son. She wanted it to go in his office and had been searching for 5 years for someone to make it. As she told me about the saying, tears came to her eyes.....and then of course to mine. She offered to pay me for my time but I wouldn't hear of it. This was my chance to "give back" and I didn't need anything in return.
Remembering how I felt as we parted that day, I decided to make a change this year and do more volunteering within my community. There are so many ways to help that do not cost a thing and yet, we are so busy handling the pressures of every day life, we don't see those opportunities. 

Here are a few ways I have thought of to Volunteer:
Making bookmarks for adults as well as children to leave at the local library 
Creating banners for hospitalized children to remind them that someone cares
Doing something for my grandson's kindergarten class to inspire them 
Visiting the nursing home just to bring a smile to someone's day or listen to their wisdom
Adopting Angels from the tree at Christmas time so children will experience the wonder
Helping pack the boxes for needy families at Christmas
Having a bake sale and donating the proceeds to a charitable organization
Making cards for Operation Write Home ~ providing cards for soldiers to write home on
Assisting in educational programs offered by the Union Co Heritage Museum

They say there is strength in numbers so I created the North Mississippi Creative Crafters Facebook group in hopes of being able to really make a difference with the help of others in my area. If you have any great volunteer ideas, please post them! I'm open to all suggestions.

Here are a few of the bookmarks I have been working on ~ Most of these are still works in progress:

I am thrilled that you took the time to stop by today. Next stop on the hop is the oh so talented Melissa! If you experience a big change in the near future....hope it's the best one ever! Have a great day!

Michele ~ http://michelescraftroom.blogspot.com/  <---- YOU ARE HERE

21 comments:

  1. Your bookmarks are adorable! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW girl!! You have been BUSY! Love the bookmarks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,
    This is a great story...thanks so very much for sharing. What an inspiration to us to be able to just listen to what goes on around us and to give in to that inner voice when it speaks to us. (at least when it is telling us to do something good, haha)

    I love your cross-stitch...I am sure the lady will absolutely love it. You also have some very worthy endeavors in volunteering. I wish you all the best.

    Thanks so much for celebrating my change and blog. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, your bookmarks are adorable! What an awesome change to make!
    Miranda :)
    www.nanasscrapspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, all of your bookmarks are so fabulous!! And what a wonderful change you are making...you will bring joy to the lives of so many people!! Happy Friday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bookmarks are wonderful! This world needs more people like you! :) I think I will volunteer also! :) Thank you for the insperation! bbiswabic@new.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You inspire me...what a great idea and charming bookmarks! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How truly inspirational. Very nice book marks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your book markers,greatideas...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! What a great thing you did for that lady!! And how it came back to you!! It feels good to donate time and things we make to others - it helps to brighten their day as well as our own!!

    Glad to be in this hop with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely!!! So simple and puts smiles on a lot of faces!

    TFS!
    scrapbookblessings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet of you to offer to help that lady out with cross stitching! That brought tears to my eyes too!
    Love your bookmarks...what a lot of work!
    Teresa
    www.createenjoyshare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful bookmarks. I love this idea. I think of all the volunteers that help our school and my students.
    Glad to be on the hop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable!!! God will bless you for you open and giving heart. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This rocks!! My family is VERY community minded and we are going to add this to our list of things to do for the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Michele that is so sweet of you to cross stitch for her. You are such a blessing. And wow go girl you truly stepping up and out. Love the bookmarks. My mom had a new library oping up and I will have to step up and out. Such a great thing. TFS AJ-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of Operation Write Home before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful spirit you have. You will be rewarded many times over. I love your bookmarks. I have been trying to figure out a project for a club I sponsor at school. Think I will borrow your idea.

    Melissa
    scraplady202@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by ~ Hope you have a crafty day :-)