OWH Midweek Throwdown - Birthday

For the OWH  Midweek Throwdown Challenge, I decided to use one of the awesome OWH tutorials to create a birthday card! If you haven't perused them yet, here is the link. I chose the Pinwheel tutorial and it was so easy!  There is a link-up there too where you can add your finished project and see what others have created! Before you scroll any further, I must warn you of the train wreck up ahead. Do you ever have those days when nothing seems to fit, colors don't match, you adhere something crooked? That's what happened on card #1 but I didn't give up!!! 
I have watched many videos from Operation Write Home....I find myself talking to Sandy as though she is in the room with me sometimes. (LOL) I have learned SOOOO much from her techniques but have never tried the tutorials and now I wonder what took me so long??? I digress...

The 1st pinwheel turned out great with the exception of the papers chosen. I think they are wayyyy too busy. 
I added just a bit of adhesive to the back of the card at the top and bottom to adhere the ribbon. The ribbon didn't lie flat enough to suit me so I used my glue pen to add just a smidge of stickyness. As you can see, it does not dry clear when used on ribbon. What type of adhesive do you use for your ribbon?
 
I thought I had a brilliant idea to use purple embossing powder on the yellow paper to bring everything full circle. Ummmm, mistake numberrrrr....I lost count. Not even purple. BUT....I learn from my errors and that is why you are seeing this card today! (It's also a reminder to me the next time I get a bright idea) Ha! The sentiment is from the Hero Arts Live Live stamp set.
On to the good stuff! The 1st pinwheel was a bit larger than I needed so I thought I would improvise. The original pieces were cut at 2-5/8". Ok, I am college educated but once you get past the 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 marks....you lose me so I relied on this handy tool I found. YAY! I feel so smart now. Well, ok, I haven't actually learned it yet but I have it saved to my desktop!
 For my second attempt, I chose papers from The Paper Studio - A Day at the Beach and DCWV - Cafe Mediterranean. The button and flower are from my stash.
 The base paper is Core'dinations, ribbon is Offray (again not adhering completely the way I want it to), gems are by Heidi Grace and the twine bow is Hemptique.
Another tip I learned form OWH is to be sure all of your corners are adhered to the base so they don't get snagged on anything and have to undergo triage prior to their trip overseas. Looks like the top one could use some more tlc.
This sentiment is from The Scrapbooking Queen's Princess Birthday stamp set stamped with Stampabilities Dye ink - Bright Pink
 I'm pretty happy with the 2nd one. What's that they say? If at first you don't succeed.....try try again! Thank goodness for tutorials and videos and friends like you to help along the way.
~~ Hope you have a crafty day ~~



Comments

  1. I recently tried this tutorial and I was happy with the results. I usually have to make two cards to get a new technique right too! Your cards are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are gorgeous!! I love the pinwheels!! It always takes me quite a few attempts when trying a new technique!! And for ribbon, I like to use Scor-tape...I actually use for many things. Happy Thursday :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I liked the first one the best. Had that "antique" flair. Nice papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty papers! These pinwheels turned out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by ~ Hope you have a crafty day :-)

Popular posts from this blog

"Share Handmade Kindness" ~ Week 2

OWH Red Friday Blog Hop Linky

The Stamps of Life Kit Club Review