Pages

July 2, 2012

Celebrate Freedom Blog Hop ~ Day 1/2



Hey ~ Thanks for stopping by today! Freedom is something I am so thankful for and I am so proud to be an American so I can't wait to see everyone's projects! 

Welcome to the Celebrate Freedom Blog Hop. This blog hop runs from July 1st through July 2nd. You will see some lovely projects having to do with celebrating freedom and the 4th of July theme and have a chance to win some blog candy along the way, including some grand prizes! In order to be eligible for the grand prizes you must leave a comment on every blog in the hop and become followers to all the ladies in the hop also.


I found this video of "America the Beautiful" on You Tube sung by Ray Charles and created by   .  I hope you will take a moment to watch, listen and remember those who serve our country to help maintain our freedom. 

My husband and I recently visited Washington, DC and of the 2000 pictures I took, this one had the most impact for me. The next time you see a soldier or an elderly gentleman with a Veteran cap on, don't hesitate to say "Thanks". It means the world to them just to know they are appreciated.
Arlington Cemetery ~ Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

For the 1st day of this hop, I made a gift bottle rocket holder.  



This cut will be used on tomorrow's project but I wanted you to see the Cricut cartridges I used. These were cut at: 1-1/4", Blade-4, Speed-3, Pressure-4. Paper: The Paper Studio Four Seasons
The America shaped flag was cut at 3-3/4"
 
 Land of the Free was cut at 1-1/4" and adhered with Zig glue ~ couldn't live without it!!
Studio G Glitter Glue was applied to the white stripes for a little sparkle. I could have used glitter paper but didn't think of that ahead of time. LOL

My first attempt at cutting vinyl with my Cricut Expressoin and it turned out perfect! I watched many-a-youtube videos first! The vinyl is from Paper-Papers.com and cut at: 1-1/4", Blade-5, Speed-3, Pressure-4. I wanted the letters cut all the way through so I could separate them. If you are creating a word or design that you want to keep in tact, use 3 for all. It will not cut through the vinyl backing and will allow you to mount on the wall, etc. all in 1 piece.
This was not a new mat so the vinyl began to slip. I added a piece of this Scotch tape found at Staples and let me tell you...this is a wonderful product!!! I have tried many "repositionable" tapes and so far, this is the best one I have used.
I put 2 glue dots on my mat and attached a piece of tape, sticky side up. I placed my letters in the position I wanted them on the bottle just to be sure I got it right the 1st time. Using the lines on my mat was a big help regarding the spacing. No guesswork here!
I flipped the tape over and positioned it on the jar. Lifting up the bottom part of the tape, I peeled the backing off the "A" and pressed firmly, careful to remove any bubbles. I then trimmed the tape just below the "S" and repeated the process.
 This is what we have so far! As you can see, I saved those tape pieces for future use!
Using red, white and blue twine, I wrapped these fabulous straws from Jaded Blossom. I adhered 1 glue dot at the top, wound the twine around and finished it off with 1 more glue dot.
This ribbon came wrapped on a card and was very creased. I despise ironing and remembered a tip I read about using your hair flat iron. OMG...it worked beautifully and very very quick!


Once all of the M&Ms are gone, remove the ribbon, insert bottle rockets and have fun!! 

If you have hopped with me before, you know I love to share Blog Candy with my followers so this is what I have for this 2 day hop........

Come back tomorrow for a second chance to enter! One winner from both days posts will be announced on Friday July 6th.    

Here is the lineup ~ your next stop will be Maria ~

Jamie - http://www.jamielindstromdesigns.com/
Pam - http://lovebugcreations3.blogspot.com/


P.S. This project is being entered in the "A Homespun Affair Monthly Challenge for July! If you haven't seen the 1st edition of their magazine....head on over to http://www.ahomespunaffair.blogspot.com/ and check it out! It's pretty amazing with lots of ideas and helpful tips, a calendar, tutorials and even an article to inspire you to help others in need. You will be glad you did!! ((hugs)) 





17 comments:

  1. Michelle, what an awesome project! Thanks for all the details! You did a fabulous job!
    Miranda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I love how you show all of use how you put your project together. ALL of your projects are just beautiful!!!!. THank you for sharing.
    Kathy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is fabulous Michele!!! I love your fun creation...can't wait to see what you have planned for tomorrow!
    hugs & blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - first off it's a super clever project and secondly your explanation of how to create it was great - I love this and will be definitely scrap-lifting it! TFS!
    pam_lash at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute project, thanks for sharing how to make it.

    lflinesatcomcastdotnet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, I'm not sure how many of those delightful M&Ms would make it into the jar at MY house, but that sure is a beautiful decoration at YOURS! :) I've not tried vinyl yet even though I have a lot of it in my scrappy supply. You may have just inspired me!!


    Fondly,
    Ellen ♥ CardMonkey
    http://cardmonkeyspaperjungle.com
    e-mail: cardmonkey@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed with your instructions, so clear . great job on project and description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative and thanks for sharing how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele,
    i missed you yesterday.... i am so happy that I came back and saw your fun project. Oh my word someone has been busy! love it so stinkin cute, a lot of time went into this project how fun:)
    {love love}
    Scrappin Madge

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great!!! Love all the tips and photos!!! Absolutely fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Projects!!!Saw it on Homespun Affair!!new follower

    Migdalia
    http://craftingwithcreativem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. Makes and awesome party favor or centerpiece.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michele!
    I think your centerpiece is awesome! :) (And what a great tutorial too!)
    I looked everywhere to find red, white and blue candy to put into mine, but never did find it. :(
    Happy Independence Day to you! :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michele, I am blown away y the detail and how tos in your write up!! Great job! I am so glad that you played along with us at www.ahomespunaffair.blogspot.com!! Your project was wonderful!!

    xoxoxoxo

    Jessica @ www.homespunelegance.blogspot.com
    www.ahesomspunaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic idea!! Makes a great favor or centerpiece....LOVE IT!!!
    Great to be on this hop with you :0)
    Diana
    daisylovecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic project! Thanks for the details!

    Thanks for joining the challenge @ A Homespun Affair
    Heather - DT Member
    www.iheartippity.com
    www.papercrafteranonymous.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the adorable submission to A Homespun Affair July Color Challenge!

    ~Raquel AHA Design Team

    kraftykaboose.blogspot.com
    ahomespunaffair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by ~ Hope you have a crafty day :-)